Turn it to the left

"Turn it to the left" is a hearing/audiology saying to turn the volume down...turn it to the left. As Greg completes his fourth and final year of the audiology program at UT-Dallas I will chronicle our challenges and tribulations of our year spent out west.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What am I doing?

Or better yet, what am I NOT doing? We still do not have an apartment, I still do not have any job leads and I haven't even started packing.

We do have an apartment in mind that we would like to live in, but we do not know if they will have what we want (i.e. what we can afford) when we get there. They only require their tenants to give a 30 day notice when they are moving. So we wait. They do have this option to HOLD an apartment for 21 days, but that of course won't work until we are 21 days to getting there to keep form having to pay 2 rents.

A job. Yeah...well I have submitted my resume to two resort and spas in the luxurious Scottsdale area...yeah...nothing. I am not really the "luxurious" type. I have found some jobs online that I would probably be good at and most of all qualify for, but I will only be there a year. How do I tell them that? Will they want to hire me if I will be leaving in a year? Is it worth it to them?

Packing...well this isn't all my fault. We are considering using a moving company to come and pack everything and move it for us as well. We really don't want to get a u-haul and a trailer for one of the cars while the other drives the other car. But I need to call them and have them come by and get a quote. And before that I have to clean, which I did last week, but I think I have to do it again. I MUST do that next week.

Oh yeah...I have a dresser that I painted (and not that great and there fore I have to get more paint for some major touching up) and it is in the living room while Greg's unmentionables are on the bed room floor.

Oh yeah...I am also ready to park my car with the keys in the ignition. It will take me probably $2000 to get the two things fixed that need to be fixed in order to eventually pass inspection for the state of Texas and I have no idea what type of inspections AZ has on their cars. Anyone know a good mechanic that works on Swedish models?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaira said...

oh my, oh my... i just want to know what kinds of unmentionables are on your floor :D

okay, about the job - keep your mouth shut! don't tell anyone you will only be there for a year. you need a job, unfortunately, and there is no telling what COULD happen. just don't say a word about it.

i can not believe you are thinking of having a moving company move you - are you crazy!? that's going to cost a fortune! but i'm sure it will be nice.

why would AZ inspect your car? and it seems crazy to put $2000 into an older car - maybe you should think about getting a newer car. just food for thought. that's an outrageous repair.

May 22, 2008 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger The Zajicek's said...

Yep - definitely agree on the job part. DOn't tell them about the 1 year possibility b/c you just never know! I speak from experience! ;) I'll keep praying that God will guide you to the right job and that he will lead yall to the right place to live. It will all work out - just the waiting part is awfully hard! Hang in there!

May 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Cherlicity said...

Do not tell them you are leaving in a year. Honesty is not always the best policy when applying for a job. They will not hire you if they know you're going to be leaving them in any given amount of time. It's better to get hired, and then when the time comes put your notice in and say you're husband is getting transfered. Better that way, trust me! When people would apply with me at the restaurant and then drop the bomb "I'monly here for the summer" I'd politely tell them thanks but no thanks. I need long term people, not ones who are only going to be here for a few months.

June 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home