Shorts at church?
So this past Sunday, Greg and I found a church to visit since we really need to get back to going to church. There aren't any Church of Christ churches here, but a couple of Bible churches and we picked on that we thought we would try. We opted for the 8:15 service since it is supposed to me a more "conservative" service. We get there and start walking to the worship facility...and men in shorts...EVERYWHERE! Like they were at a fancy resort or something. I know we are in Scottsdale, but shorts at church? Okay... So we get in...there is band on the stage! Like with electric guitars and stuff! I thought this was the "conservative" service? Now I am fine with that...Greg I was concerned about...he isn't much into that...but he did like it okay and they were AWESOME! I will have to see if they have any worship CD's...yeah they were THAT good. Well, I thought so. Come to find out, the there was a scheduling thing and that is NOT the usual worship team for the 8:15 service. So this Sunday we will see what it is REALLY like.
Okay...back to the shorts...so I see ALL these men in shorts...some women, but mostly men. And at first I was a complete hypocrite in thinking...why would they wear shorts to CHURCH of all places? I don't care where we are living. Then something popped in my mind...does it really even matter? Back home Greg's family (notably his grandfather) helped build a church that is unfortunately no longer in existence. This was a Church of Christ church...so very simple and yet so very lovely. The people there were amazing and they came to church wearing their best, which might have been a nice pair of jeans, a plaid button up short sleeved shirt and tennis shoes. And they, just like the men in shorts they came to worship...the REAL reason for being there anyway.
Labels: az experiences

2 Comments:
Oh my gosh, that is so funny. The men here in MN wear shorts to church too in the summers!!! BLows my mind! I think i used the analogy too that it feels like you are at a resort or something. Makes me a bit frustrated sometimes, but like you said...most important reason is that they are there. :)
you guys are hilarious. lots of guys wear shorts at our church, too. welcome to the 21st century ;-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home