Turn it to the left

"Turn it to the left" is a hearing/audiology saying to turn the volume down...turn it to the left. As Greg completes his fourth and final year of the audiology program at UT-Dallas I will chronicle our challenges and tribulations of our year spent out west.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.

I have some time before the new 90210 show starts, so I thought I would blog a bit.

Well I will finally start my job next week on the 8th. My first couple of days will be spent at the Phoenix campus getting all the fun paperwork taken care of and some training. I think I have all the appropriate clothes and the most unfortunate: the hosiery.

We had a good Labor Day weekend. I feel kind of guilty partaking in the long Labor Day weekend since I am not "laboring" just yet. Along with Julia, we took an adventure along the Apache Trail. We stopped at the Goldfield Ghost Town to take a look at a historic gold mining town. We took the 20 minute train ride with the train engineer giving us a history of the old town and it's surroundings.

We got back in the car and started back along winding roads of Arizona 88 to get to Tortilla Flat where we read was THE place to stop for some great food and some prickly pear ice cream. Well, the food wasn't anything great and the ice cream...let me describe it...imagine any flavor of ice cream without the flavor. I guess the prickly pear flavor didn't quite stick.

So then we get into the car and on the winding road to some of the most amazing mountain views south of the Grand Canyon.

Monday we left the day to one of America's favorite past time: Baseball. The Arizona Diamondbacks were playing the St. Louis Cardinals. This was our first visit to Chase field in Phoenix and we were excited about watching a live sporting event. The game was very exciting. We even had a Diamondback home run ball fly into the stands just seats below where we were sitting. Had we all not been enjoying hot dogs and brats we might have dove for it ourselves. The Diamondback's won the ball game 8-6.

Here are some pics:

Goldfield Mining Town



Me and Greg by a HUGE cactus.



A praying mantis.



Superstition Mountains








Yes...I have bangs...and yes...I am already officially growing them out. And YES...I have gained weight. Leave me alone.



Greg is of course as cute as ever.



From a moving vehicle...



It was so peaceful out here.











After the big win!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zajicek's said...

Wow - yall got some great pics!! It is so neat looking there! And you know the Brady Bunch visited a ghost town on one fo their episodes too! haha Matter of fact, it may have just been on the way to the Grand Canyon! :)

September 3, 2008 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger Kaira said...

Well, you look a whole lot better than me... we can't all be Leigh, you know?!

My friend just took the most hideous picture of me - seriously. Then she went and posted it on online. It is truly awful... terrible lighting, awful angle, i'm slouching and it is I look big as a house - seriously, it is the worst picture I've ever taken.

She's too nice for me to complain to though.

Anyhow, I think you look cute :)

p.s. thanks for the package you sent.

September 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home