Turn it to the left

"Turn it to the left" is a hearing/audiology saying to turn the volume down...turn it to the left. As Greg completes his fourth and final year of the audiology program at UT-Dallas I will chronicle our challenges and tribulations of our year spent out west.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Umm...I have no excuse....

...I just haven't had much to blog about, but so much has happened lately, that I now have all kinds of things to blog about. So get comfortable...

Well, let's see...Greg, Julia and I had some visitors. Three of the 5 other girls in the program at UTD came for a visit. Sara, who has her extern at the VA in San Diego; Susan, who has hers at the VA in Tucson and LB (aka Lauren), is at Callier in Dallas. Greg's other two classmates (Reagan and Rachel) are both at Callier with LB did not make the trip and have been "marked" accordingly.



In this photo: Julia, Sara, Greg, me, LB and Susan enjoying lunch at Pita Jungle where you will find the BEST cilantro jalapeno humus!

It was so wonderful to see "the girls"! I am not so sure that all the things we did that weekend was much fun, but it was just so good to see them that it just didn't matter. It was great hearing about all that they are experiencing in thier fourth year externships. Definitely on our agendas for the new year are to go to San Diego and Tucson for a visit and Greg will be in Dallas in April for AAA and of course we will both be there in May for graduation - 174 days, if anyone was cusrious!

We have had a few "issues" with some things lately. Most of you know that we have been sleeping on an amazingly comfortable blow-up mattress since we moved here. Well...we sprang a leak...and I could not for the life of me find it! So it was finally time to by a REAL mattress.

The Volvo...well, let's just say that it is now a part of history for the Nelson's. I ended up selling it because I just couldn't afford to get it fixed to pass inspection and to run properly. Had I been able to fix it and get it all up to speed, it would have been a GREAT car, but it just wasn't possible. So we are a one Honda car family and YES...DAD...I have learned my lesson!

Last and never least, Greg just got over having some sort of stomach virus. He had it for 3+ days and lost 8 pounds. Yeah...of course I never got this virus. But he is doing much better now and even got a full physical with blood work to do on Tuesday as a result of it. I knew I would get him in to the doctor some how!

Let's see....what else...well...I haven't really told anyone this...and no...I am NOT PREGNANT...I have registered to run a half marathon in January. I have been doing some training, but not nearly enough and probably not the right kind. I think I am completely addicted to the elliptical machine in the work out room. I just love it! I don't get bored and I don't even need music to do it like I do when I run on the treadmill. So that has been my training....30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week... not sure that is sufficient, but...it is better than nothing right? Okay...I will try to start running this week. Ugh...

Today we did something fun....we went to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix to see the Chihuly exhibit. We were first introduced to the beautiful works of Dale Chihuly when we were in Seattle, WA while I was working a conference. These are such fun pieces of glass...so colorful and so unique! It was neat to see all of this color against a desert canvas.

Here are just a few pics from the day:




And yes...all of that is glass! GORGEOUS!!!

So this week is Thanksgiving. Greg and I will have Thursday off and will report back to work the next day. It has been 10 years since I have worked the day after Thanksgiving and I am very thankful that I will not be reporting to a retail job on Black Friday. Greg, me and Julia will spend the day watching parades, pigging out on a Honey Baked Ham Turkey. Later we might get together with Greg and Julia's fellow extern, Kristen, her husband Jeff and thier newly adopted rescue dog, Wilbur, for some sort of festivities to keep all of out minds off of the fact that we are not at home for this holiday. This is different than being 7 hours away from home like we were in Dallas. There aren't any long weekend road trips or quick, easy and CHEAP flights home. 174 days until graduation....250 days until Greg's last day of his externship.

That is all I have to report for now. I promise I will try to be better at posting. PROMISE!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zajicek's said...

well it's about time for a new post! :) j/k

Wow - those pics of the glass are amazing - and so colorful! Looks like a fun time with all the girls too!

So proud of you in your commitment to do the 1/2 marathon! You can do it!

November 22, 2008 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Kaira said...

It is good to see you blogging again! I miss talking to you :(

November 22, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home