Turn it to the left

"Turn it to the left" is a hearing/audiology saying to turn the volume down...turn it to the left. As Greg completes his fourth and final year of the audiology program at UT-Dallas I will chronicle our challenges and tribulations of our year spent out west.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Woo Hoo 2009!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We hope that the holidays have brought each of you peace and happiness.

2008 was certainly a challenging year for Greg and I. Greg was in his third year of graduate school, which ended up being very busy and very stressful. All of his hard work paid off when he was accepted to complete his fourth year externship (and final year of graduate school) at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. We have been here in Arizona for over 5 months now. I am very sad to say that we have not been taking advantage of our time out west, but with the new year starting, I see all kinds of adventures in our future! I could list all the things we are planning on doing for the remaining time we are here, but why disappoint all of you if we don't follow through? So in order to stay updated, stay tuned to this blog. Stop by, leave a comment so I know I have an audience and get caught up on what we are doing out here.

So, what is in store for 2009 for the Nelson's?

Well, Greg is preparing for employment. January is the time to start looking for work and so yet another new chapter will begin in our lives. We will keep everyone posted on the job hunt. On our blog of course. :)

On March 27, 2009 Greg and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. It is crazy to think we have been married 10 years and before that we were together for 8! 18 years! So does that mean that in 2011 we can celebrate 20 years? Hmm... We don't have any plans that I am aware of, but we will definitely try to do something fun and outrageous since it will be our 10th. So, again...check the blog in a few months. :)

In April, Greg will travel to Dallas, TX (gee, that's different) to attend the 2009 Audiology Now! Annual Conference. He has been chosen to present a poster on research that he worked on during his third year with Jeff Martin, Ph.D. (UTD) on Dichotic Listening. This is when you have different stimuli presented in each ear at the same time. So glad Greg is the smart one! The best thing about this is that it will be a free trip for him! That is one great reward as a student...free travel to conferences! That will all end when he graduates. Booo!!!!

Speaking of which, Greg will graduate with his Doctor of Audiology on May 16th, 2009 in Dallas, TX. YEA!!! He will have a "White Coat Ceremony" on Friday, May 15th where he is presented with a white lab coat with his name embroidered on it. Fancy. Announcements with more info to follow. Although he graduates in May, he will stills has to complete his externship in Arizona, which will end on July 31, 2009. Bummer.

That very weekend our Cousin Ty and his girl Cecil will be getting married at Mo Ranch in Hunt, TX. We are sad we will miss this wonderful moment in their lives.

So what is in store for ME this year? Well, I am supposed to run a half marathon on January 18. I have not prepared for this event whatsoever. Yeah, not sure how that will pan out. Again, refer to this blog to hear how that ends up.

Other than that, I will just continue to remain by Greg's side and support him in every way that I possibly can.

Oh...and update our blog on a regular basis. I promise!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Zajicek's said...

What a year huh?! Amazing how much can happen in just one short year! Yall are doing great! Keep up the good work and I can guarantee a great 2009 as well!

January 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home